Friday, September 23, 2011

ch.16 discussion questions

In this chapter, Tomi lies about what he got for Christmas. Why do you think he lied? Discuss a time when you might have felt like Tomi did, and lied about something.


Maybe, Tomi lied to Billy about what he got for Christmas because even though Billy knows Tomi is poor, I don't think he wants to show that he is poor.  I say this because the text says,"We had to forget about Christmas, Mama said.  We had to save our money."  I used this piece of evidence because it says that they had to save whatever money they had for things they needed.  A time when I lied about something like how Tomi did was when everyone in my class had a cellphone and I didn't. My parents couldn't afford to buy me one.  So, everyday I lied and said things like," oh, I left it at home, or," oh, it's charging."  I just wanted to feel like I could fit in.  

1 comment: